Sunday, September 18, 2005

Police Departments Like Their New Toys

PJStar article on Taser guns today.

Wow. I'm glad everyone is having so much fun playing with these things. Damn, we're a war-loving, violence-loving country, aren't we? Thugs want to fight outside of bars to show how tough they are, police want to shoot high voltage through their bodies.

Why can't we all just get along? I don't get in fights. I don't put myself in a position to get tased. Why? Because I'm not an idiot. Nor do I have the desire to "tase" someone. Why? Because I prefer not to inflict pain.

When talking and diplomacy don't work, let's just simulate sticking your tongue in a light bulb socket. How cool?

I'm not saying that there is never a time for a police or corrections officer to use force, that's not what I'm saying. But I am wondering why, with all the joy being shown in this article about tasers, the reporter didn't once call a physician and see what the side effects of being tased might be.

After being tased, do you walk around with Yahoo Serious' hairstyle for a few days?
Do you crap yourself?
Can you turn on the lights by just waving your arm near a lamp?
Can you start a car by touching the steering column with your ear?
Are your muscles so relaxed that you can bend like Olga Korbut?

These are some of the questions I had about tasers before reading the story. I still do.

No comments: