Saturday, April 08, 2006

Yet Another Blogosphere Rant About Drivers

Lots of folks in our area have been blogging and ranting about bad drivers. I don't disagree with any of them, and I have my share of road rage.

Here's my latest beef. If you happen to be lucky enough to drive in an area that is NOT under construction, why is it that invariably you run up behind an idiot in the left lane who has decided to set the cruise on 64.2 MPH so he can rocket (not) past the other law-abiding citizen going 64 MPH in the right lane.

It's times like these I want to pretend I've got a number on the side of my car and a big "Home Depot" logo on the quarter panel, and drive up behind the idiot in the left lane and "put a bumper on him" as they say in NASCAR. Give him the ol' "chrome horn" and root him out of the way. If he spins, he spins, oh well. Just GET...THE...HELL...OUT...OF...THE...WAY.

There is nothing more dangerous than bunched-up interstate traffic, NO MATTER what the speed is. It's far safer to have cars spread out. I'd rather be alone on 74 DOING 74 than be in a bunch of cars and semi trucks going 65 together. I think there's even a law to make that happen now, giving State Trooopers the right to yank a guy over when he's clogging traffic. I wish I'd see that law enforced JUST ONCE.

It happens in town, too. You're on War Memorial, and the two guys (or women...come to think of it, it's often women) are oblivious to their surroundings, and are driving side by side two MPH below the speed limit, and causing backups. When you flick the bright lights at 'em, or give a little honk to get their attention, their first reaction...ALWAYS, it seems...is NOT to quickly get out of the way or sheepishly apologize with a "sorry" facial expression, no...instead, it's usually a one finger salute and the easiest two words in the English language to lip read.

I am not asking them to move so I can speed. Yes, I DO speed. But that's not the point. The point is you are statistically MUCH SAFER spread out than you are bunched together, and I've ALWAYS said I'd rather be in front of a clueless idiot than behind him...her.

2 comments:

Chef Kevin said...

And you hear so many people say: It would be sooo cool to drive on the Autobahn in Germany...there is no speed limit. While this is sort of true (they used to recommend 80mph), most would probably not survive there. EVERYONE drives in the RIGHT lane except to pass. You check your mirror to make sure some 500 class Mercedes isn't going 120 mph passing you, you pull out, QUICKLY pass, and get your butt back into the right lane. Either I'm getting old and my memory fuzzy or didn't there used to be signs here in the US that said "Keep Right Except to Pass"?

Anonymous said...

These drivers think it is their duty to America to slow traffic down.