Sunday, October 23, 2005

North Country - Good Flick

Diane and I went to see North Country Friday night at Rave Theatres.

I love movies, and I love to talk about them. But unlike almost everyone who tries to be a movie critic, I don't try to criticize first, or look for how I can say something negative just to sound cool. I go in, rather, with the intent of enjoying the movie, and then I like to talk about it with co-workers, or now since I have this blog, just jot down a few thoughts about it.

With that in mind, here goes:

North Country is based on a true story of the world's first Class Action Sexual Harassment suit. It takes place in the iron ore mines of Northern Minnesota, a few hours drive from my home.

Charlize Theron, Richard Jenkins (Illinois Wesleyan grad who has become an outstanding character actor in both comedies and dramas), the outstanding Frances McDormand, and Woody Harrelson are the main stars, but the supporting cast does a great job of capturing the lifestyle and personalities of the tough people of the Iron Range.

First thing I noticed was, unlike the cartoony, over-the-top accents of "Fargo", this movie pays enough attention to detail that the actors actually capture the Iron Range accent without going to far. As a Minnesotan, I appreciated that greatly.

Secondly, the movie has surprisingly little courtroom drama, which I expected more of after watching the previews. The story centers more on the how the life of one woman is affected by her job and the crap she has to endure at work. It also tells of the struggles of the other women in the mines, as they battle internally over whether to complain and risk losing their job, or keep quiet. Same goes for the men NOT involved in bad behavior...many characters are shown conflicted as to what they should do.

Minnesota mines are not the underground type, they are open-pit mines. The scenery is beautifully captured, and the movie goer can almost feel the cold, whipping wind even on a springtime or fall day in Minnesota.

The actors all did a good job at creating their characters, and the young man who plays Theron's son (Thomas Curtis) Sammy is outstanding. Also of note is the performance of Xander Berkeley as the women's supervisor, Mr. Pavich. Berkeley played in the first two seasons of Keifer Sutherland's "24" on Fox, and nobody catches the Minnesota demeanor in this movie like Berkeley. If you see the movie, and you see Mr. Pavich, and you say, "what a geek", you will have seen a true mine supervisor in Northern Minnesota. Company man, unattractive but thinks he's a player, that kind of guy.

SIDENOTE: When I returned to Minnesota a week and a half back for my grandfather's funeral, I asked my Uncle Dick about the movie. He joined Reserve Mining in Babbitt, Minnesota in 1954 and still lives up there. I asked him if he was aware of the case (the case came forth in 1984, but the movie not only changes names, it changes dates, as it plays out in 1989. Not sure why. Probably to protect from lawsuits.) and he said it did indeed happen at his mining company.

He said he heard tales at the time of what was happening, but he didn't work with them. They were all (with one exception) working inside the buildings that convert the iron ore into taconite, and he was out driving trucks and running the huge claws that dig at the earth, and he said that he, like many others, turned the other cheek. He didn't say it, but I have the feeling he wishes he and others would have done something about it before it got to court. He also said many of the ladies still work there, and they didn't want money, they just wanted to be treated fairly. You'll have to see the movie to see whether that happens or not.

3 comments:

PeoriaIllinoisan said...

I've vacationed in Ely a few times now, and this last spring we visited the closed underground mine about a half hour south of Ely (open for tours as a state park, forget the name of it)- fascinating to say the least.

I also visited Hibbing, as a huge Bob Dylan fan, to see his hometown. There wasn't much to see as far as that goes. I've always heard the locals don't like him up there, and I spoke to a few people who confirmed that fact. They felt he betrayed them- mainly for the fact that he left.

What I did see in Hibbing as the Rust-Hull Iron Mine, an open-pit mine they call the Grand Canyon of the North. The mine got so big, they moved the entire city. It's still in use now, and if you haven't visited, you should.

Met a tour guide there who told his son to get out of town. If you live here you will work in the mines, and I don't want that for you, he said.

I want to see the movie for two reasons- I'm fascinated by the mines, the north country, and the whole feel of the area- moreso after visiting them, and am a huge fan of Dylan, who appropriately enough, provided about half of the soundtrack to the movie.

Unfortunately, I'll probably have to wait until it comes out on video.

Anonymous said...

BJ..
Mary Ann and I went to see the movie yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. I thought it was great! I also thought Charlize Theron was outstanding. I gotta tell ya...no offense..but that is some of THE ugliest countryside I've ever seen. Above ground mining ain't pretty...and, boy, they captured it well. We both sat in the theater..looked at each other said..."THAT looks REALLY cold"! I waited to see the credits to see where it was filmed. As you probably already know..it was in Virginia, Hibbing, and a couple of other towns I don't recall. GREAT movie. I was shocked to see it didn't do very well this past weekend. What does it say about us, when, what's being called one of the worst movies ever made "DOOM" is Number One at the box office. People...RUN to the theater to see "North Country". ***** Five Stars..and a BIG "TWO" Thumbs up!

SouthernCanadian said...

BJ - Thanks for the review. As a Hibbing native, I've been wondering how they'll portray the Range and its culture in this film. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Dan - That part of northern Minnesota is beautiful in a stark, spare kind of way, once you leave the towns and the mines behind. And yes, it is terribly cold up there during the winter!