Thursday, July 27, 2006

Maddening Driving Habits, #254

Don't you just love it when you come up behind someone dutifully rolling along right at the speed limit ("good for them", you think, "but I gotta go"), and then speed up the moment you try to slip past them?

I just love that.

Then, when you get by and set your cruise at 63 or 64 (in a 55), the dude decides to tailgate you at that same speed.

I just love that.

Here's my message to the blue Ford dually this morning on Highway 78: If you don't have the guts to speed out there all by yourself, stop using me as a front door. I'm open about my intentions, expectations, and possible consequences...why don't you grow a pair and do the same?

I can't think of any more gutless driving behavior than the driver that will follow anybody going over the limit, but refuses to lead the pack. Wimps. You think you're smart, but you're really not. When my uncle patrolled the highways of Minnesota, he purposely picked up the second car in line whenever he came upon a group of speeders. He figured (rightly so) that the second guy was just using the first guy to do his dirty work.

1 comment:

Zebster said...

There's this windy stretch of road up here, Route 1A from Bangor to Ellsworth ("summer people" take it to then go to Bar Harbah). I think it's 50 mph. So I wanna go 55-57. Invariably you'll get stuck on that road behind someone going 50 or less. Well there's 2 spots on that 20 mile stretch that has significant hills, so it's 2 lanes wide there. What always happens is the SOB you couldn't pass on the single lane thinks that 2 lanes means it's an interstate and speeds up to 70. So you have to go 75 in in a 50 to get by him.