Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Great Line From John Dean

While visiting with Jon Stewart last night, John Dean said, "I'm still very much a Goldwater Republican...which today makes me left of center apparently."

How true. I've got this little graph I draw for people that shows how the "Center" has been manipulated to the right BY the right in the last 30 years, and it's alternately sad, frightening and disgusting. Wise thinking people who would have been smack dab in the middle in a very prosperous America of the 50's and 60's are now portrayed as "the liberal left" daily, with idiots like Limbaugh, Hannity, and Coulter perpetrating the ruse.

So the true centrists (yours truly would be one) are portrayed as "liberal", and the fringe right, small in numbers but loud in bullying tactics, makes that seem as if it's a dirty word. I know this drives GOP'ers nuts, but the best "Republican" president of the last 40 years (according to what the Republican platform is SUPPOSED to be, not the Bush platform) has been...Bill Clinton.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ann coulter is a female version of rush limbaugh (except as far as i know, she's never been hooked on painkillers). but she does promote an uber right wing agenda with no concern for crazy things like facts or logic.

my opinion, if you live in a bipartisan pseudo-democracy and you legitimately stand by the claim that all liberals/democrats need to die or otherwise leave the country then I no longer maintain any sense of legitimate concern for your opinion. Secondly, I haven't ever seen or read a piece of work where she's actually substantiated one of her opinions. Now, to be fair, I couldn't read more than a chapter into her books. She makes me want to turn into a ranting hippie - and I can't stand hippies.

i know i lean pretty far to the left these days, but i would like to point out i can still listen to and respect people opposite me in the political spectrum. i just expect them to be truthful and engage in intelligent reasoning, not just appeal to emotions or bully people.

Zebster said...

I've always been a liberal, and an independent, because I've stuck to what I feel is the original definition of liberal, which is "open minded."
Come on over and read my Rove rant I put up yesterday. Mmmmm, I don't see a link to either of my blogs here, old friend.

BJ Stone said...

Give me time, give me time. LOL

I'll head over for the Rove rant.

BJ Stone said...

Pudge, I'm with you. There are many here in the local blogging community whom I have not much in common on a personal level, but we don't have to resort to cheap shots and name calling in our conversations. C.J., the other B.J., Eyebrows, The Pundit, even the long-lost Cruise Control. We all have discussions with extreme differences, but can keep it civil.

On the other hand...

I won't go there this morning. :)