Sunday, July 23, 2006

10 Fun Years

Some of you may know I've been the Public Address voice of the Peoria Rivermen ever since I arrived in town just before the 1996-97 season. Then-GM Greg Griffith hired me, since then Scott Schuetz, John Butler and Bart Rogers kept welcoming me back to do this fun gig 35-50 nights every winter.

I called Bart this week to tell him I would not be returning in 2006-2007. Time for somebody else to do it. With my new job in Kewanee, we both knew it would be difficult for me to do all the games, particularly the weeknight games. So I won't be doing it this year, and I will miss it.

It was great fun, and I thank Bruce Saurs, Anne Griffith, Tim Saurs, and all the afore-mentioned GM's for letting me have some fun and get to stand between the two penalty boxes for 10 years of pro hockey. The Rivermen joined the ECHL my first year here, and therefore I was the only P.A. voice they had in nine years of ECHL play. I'm very proud of that. I also greatly enjoyed the hockey in the AHL last year, Peoria's first year in that league.

One of the neatest things about the gig is all the talented young men I've befriended during this time. Dan Hodge, Trevor Baker, Jason Christie, Troy Riddle, Joe Rybar, Jason Lawmaster and Darren Clark...those are the guys I spent the most time with, but I got to know hundreds of athletes over these last ten years, and there are many, many, many more I've kept in touch with and shared laughs with over the years. And the many, many tall tales, jokes and talks I shared with the great Norm Ulrich will also not be forgotten. Norm, you are the funniest guy I know. Period.

And of course, the fans were always great...the ones who used to make me feel good by complimenting my work, the ones who playfully picked on me, the ones who didn't like me...I truly did enjoy seeing everybody over 10 years. Next year, if I'm at a game, I'll be in the stands with you all, and then I can finally yell at a ref. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt anyone can fill those shoes BJ. And since I've worked with you, I know just how big they are. Seriously, that big booming PEOOOORRRIIIAAAAA RIVERRRRMENNNN!!!! will be missed.

By the way, congrats on your new GM job in Kewanee. If you're in need of local talk talent, you know where to find me.

BJ Aberle said...

BJ,
I would be interested to get in touch with you about using you as a voice talent....or at least having you in my talent pool. I am always looking to use local talent rather than Chicago or the coasts. If you are at all interested please email me at my hotmail account(I don't want to broadcast my work email here). Hope to hear from you.

bjaberle@hotmail.com

Zebster said...

Congrats on your prior success, FB, and on your new endeavor.

If you don't answer my emails though, I'm gonna smack ya.

BJ Stone said...

Keith, how are you, old friend? Great to hear from you!

Email me at work: bjradio@verizon.net

BJ, I'll be in touch, I'm always up for voice work!

Zeb, I'll respond, I promise, I don't wanna get smacked around by an ex-marine! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember several years ago when one of the goons from an opposing team finally got ejected in the third period, and as you announced the penalties, ending with "...and a game misconduct" there was a slight pause and then an added "he will not be missed."

This will certainly NOT be the case when you hit the showers. You did a great job. Them's some big shoes to fill.

SLB

Anonymous said...

Good luck B.J. I enjoyed hearing you at the Rivermen games. Any chance you'll ever come to work over here at a station in Ottawa or Peru?

Slot
Rivermen message board