Monday, June 05, 2006

Things That Make You Go...ARRGH.

Dudes (and dudettes) that drive 48-52 in a 55, forcing you to follow them for several hilly miles, then speed up when you try to pass, then flip you off when you finally get by. ARRGH.

Drivers that turn left onto a two- or three-lanes wide street...and go ALLLL THHHEEE WAAAYYYY to the right lane. Quick tip: That's incorrect driving. Oh, and they RARELY have a signal on while they do it. Oh, and they honk if you're opposite them, turning right into the far right lane like you're supposed to, and you DARE stick your nose out there as they're coming across three lanes. Double ARRGH.
Drivers that cruise across parking lots diagonally, darting between parked cars and generally showing no regard for anyone else. I saw a UPS truck fly through a parking lot in Kewanee today doing at least 35 MPH as he flew "sideways" through the marked lanes. No ARRGH, just happy he didn't kill anybody.

Drivers that whiz through construction zones at 55 in a 45, then hit the open road and do...57 in a 65, side by side with a semi-tractor trailer, for miles. Guy passed me this morning near Northwoods Mall, screaming at the guy on my left. I was set at 45, the guy on my left came by me in a Lincoln at 47,48. And the dude in the white pickup is all over his bumper, yelling and screaming. The Lincoln pulls back in front of me, the angry dude makes the pass and scoots away. We are all pleased that he is gone. But alas, we come upon him before Kickapoo, driving 57 in the left lane, passing a semi, and now holding up several cars. It wasn't just me he was aiming to displease, it was apparently everyone. Again, no ARRGH, just a "somebody needs his butt kicked" thought passing through my head.

Drivers that pull out in front of you at the last second, forcing you to stand on the brakes like you're stomping out a fire, then travel 20 miles per hour below the limit, then make the very next turn...slowly, of course. Lady couldn't wait to jump out in front of me on IL 78 while I was coming about 60 MPH, then drives 35 for 1/2 mile until turning right back off IL 78. This, to me, is the biggest ARRGGH of all. It wasn't meant to be rude, it wasn't meant to upset me, it was just being totally oblivious to the surroundings. Those people flat SCARE me.

I witnessed all of these things in the past two days.

14 comments:

BJ Aberle said...

dude......when did you become a pirate?

BJ Stone said...

Rather a Pirate than a Cub. Come to think of it, rather be most anything than a Cub. :)

Harriet said...

That is why I love being able to walk to work every day. :-)

BJ Stone said...

Ollie, if I could walk the 47 miles I have to travel right now in a reasonable time, I'd do it. :)

Chef Kevin said...

bj, I feel your pain. I turned left on War from Prospect the other morning. Two dueling idiots were driving 32 mph SIDE BY SIDE all the way to Sheridan..well that is where I turned off.

Also, isn't it a law that if you are turning left, you are supposed to turn into the lane closest to you? Wasn't this part of the law that went into effect that allowed right on red?

BJ Stone said...

I really can't comment on that, Kev, because I might be called a whiner. I'm not allowed to express my thoughts on this subject anymore. It has been decreed.

Chef Kevin said...

Hey, it's YOUR blog, say what you will. Tell whomever to shut up and get their own blog. Hey, I'm with ya. I am usually at or slightly above the speed limit. I know it and if I get a ticket, so be it. But there has to be better enforcement in this town for all the red light (and I'm not talking the Morton Square Park, here) infractions, illegal turns, etc. as well as speeding tickets.

Anonymous said...

the law (introduced in the 1970s) states "You must always come to a complete stop and check that the way is clear before making a right turn on a red light."

I'm sorry, if people turning LEFT, on a green left light arrow are coming, how does that make the way clear for the person turning on red? I actually found this:

The California Driver Handbook 2002 says: "Left turn from a two-way street: start the turn in the left lane closest to the middle of the street. You may complete the turn in either lane of the cross street if it is safe to do so." and: "Left turn from a two-way street into a one-way street: start the turn from the far left lane on your side of the road. You may turn into any lane that is safely open." and: "Left turn from a one-way street into a two-way street: start the turn from the far left lane. The vehicle may turn into either of the lanes that is safely open." (Laws And Rules Of The Road - Turns - Examples Of Right And Left Turns; checked Jul-02.)

So, it appears one of your pet peeves about people turning left into the right hand lane you're trying to turn into - you may be wrong about that and they're in the right...errr, or is that left?

Chef Kevin said...

Sorry, Jen, According to the 2005 ILLINOIS Rules of the Road (where BJ & I are from) states: The following steps apply to the driver who wants to turn left: Give a left turn signal from the proper turning lane...complete the turn into the lane closest to you going in your new intended direction.

Concerning right on red. What you said is correct. The lane would be clear allowing the right on red driver to proceed if the above rule was followed by left hand turners 100% of the time. But instead, we wait because we don't know what lane these left turners are turning into.

Anonymous said...

good thing you and I will never be driving in the same states

Chef Kevin said...

Hey, as long as you have good insurance, drive as you please...

BJ Stone said...

Kev, even though it's my blog, I am just behaving as if the great almighty "Tony"...whoever he is...from Bill's site, would like me to behave. I'm guessing "Tony" must be an officer or trooper who doesn't use his signals or turn into the proper lane, and only writes tickets for speeding because everything else is just a nuisance.

And that brings me to the recent posts about California. Instead of ticketing the worst drivers in the world (which they are), they just re-write laws of common sense out there to make bad driving "legal". Oh, well.

Be that as it may, Kevin is exactly right: we have to wait to turn right now because we don't know which drivers will turn left properly and which ones will be idiots. So instead of getting in a wreck that wouldn't be our fault, but would ultimately end up costing us more in insurance policies, we let the idiots rule the roads.

It's up to the police to change that.

Anonymous said...

Oh oh oh wait...not that I want to get into a blog-war or anything about right turns and left turns and right of way...but I have to respond to the last comment.

"And that brings me to the recent posts about California. Instead of ticketing the worst drivers in the world (which they are),..."

I grew up in California. I learned to drive in California. I'm far from the perfect driver, it's true, but I'm young and have a sports car, its almost my duty to be a bit reckless. However - the last year I've moved to Boston. ANYONE who ever thought Californians were bad drivers have never been here. Massachusetts is deadly. deadly I tell you. To hell with right hand turns with left hand turners coming at you - try free for alls, make no eye contact, whoever gets their first wins.

The bad california driver stereotype needs to end. There's a new killer in town.

Chef Kevin said...

Jen -

We AGREE on something!! I've driven in Boston a couple of times and you are right...it's free for all. However, the few times I've driven in DC, rivals it. It's not a driving free for all, but the pedestrians think anything that is blacktopped or cemented is a walkway. The last time I visited, I didn't do much driving so I didn't notice it as much.