Sunday, June 25, 2006

Pro-Life = Anti-Choice

Chase made a comment on a thread below, and it reminded me of a recent discussion I had with some of my internet fantasy baseball buddies.

I prefer to call so-called pro-lifers "anti-choice". Why? Because when it comes to the death penalty and war, they're usually more eager to pursue and condone the death penalty and more "willing" to accept casualties. So they're not really "pro-life", except where abortion is concerned. More correctly, by wanting a ban on abortion, they are trying to take a woman's personal choice away. Hence, "Anti-Choice".

Immediately upon saying that, it gets mentioned that I, then, am "anti-life". Well, that's not correct. Without even getting into the semantics of when life begins, for me to be "anti-life" I'd have to demand that EVERY prisoner be executed, EVERY soldier die, and EVERY pregancy not be allowed to come to fruition. Eventually, there wouldn't be any "life". That would be closer to "anti-life".

The bottom line is that "anti-life" and "pro-life" both make zero sense. You're either for choice, or against it. Therefore, the correct terms to describe the sides on the abortion debate are "pro-choice" and "anti-choice".

6 comments:

BJ Stone said...

I understand the "anti-abortion" tag, C.J. but then the opposite of that is "pro-abortion".

Not all people who are pro-choice are pro-abortion. They just believe it's not their business to tell a complete stranger what to do with her body.

Maybe we could agree that pro-choice could be called "pro-none of my business", and anti-choice folks could be called "pro-everybody's business is my business".

:)

Oh, and I see your point on pro-choice, I really do. However, I do indeed know people who think there should be no choice on abortion NO MATTER the situation. Sadly, those folks are out there, and in greater numbers than reasonable people would like to admit.

BJ Aberle said...

"Not all people who are pro-choice are pro-abortion. They just believe it's not their business to tell a complete stranger what to do with her body."

Would you feel justified in telling a complete stranger not to kill a life? I would. I wouldn't find it at all intrusive, but more of a moral obligation. And secondly what about the father? Shouldn't he have a say in what happens to the baby?

I am not sure how I feel yet as far as cases for rape and incest go. Still sticking with the issue of choice, in rape or incest the choice has been removed only to force upon the mother...oops I mean fetus carrier.. the ultimate choice. To me, when a person engages in sexual activity they make the choice to be responsible for their actions. I don't like this cavalier attitude towrds abortion as being "just another form of birth control." But then I also feel an innocent child ...oops I mean fetus.. should not suffer death due to the misdeeds of its' father.

It's so turned around to me. Those who generaly oppose the death penalty logicly should feel the same about abortion. But that is not the case for the most part. It seems guilty criminals are more valued than innocent babys. Strange.

BJ Stone said...

For the record, I don't oppose the death penalty.

BJ Stone said...

Oh, and yes, the father and mother should discuss the situation whenever possible. When the father is a rapist, however, don't you think that's another story?

And like you, yes, I would feel quite comfortable telling a killer to not kill someone, but I don't automatically consider every woman who has an abortion to be a killer.

I think it's far, far more tragic and wrong what that local doctor did to her child than another woman aborting in the first few weeks of pregnancy.

Anonymous said...

CJ: There's ALWAYS a flaw in his reasoning. '-)

Nobody is PRO abortion except for a few NAGS in Planned Parenthood. I am both pro-choice and pro-life. How? It's simple. I believe abaortions should be safe, legal and rare.

Anonymous said...

No, unlike many of my conservative brethren, I just accept the reality that sometimes having an abortion is the lesser of the available evils or simply a necessary evil. At the same time, I don't want people using abortion as a form of birth control.

By safe I mean safe for the woman.