Saturday, May 27, 2006

Tip Talk

There's been quite a bit of talk in the Journal Star letters to the editor lately about tips. Gratuities. The writers say the people of Peoria are poor tippers, i.e. tightwads. They're right, from what I can see.

I spent seven years in Nevada. You give everyone a tip who provides a service for you. At first, I would calculate the 15% in my head and just leave the standard tip. But some service is better than others. So you found yourself tipping more. Now? I don't tip less than 17 or 18% anywhere I go, and sometimes will go to 22-25% of it's warranted. Why? Because I appreciate the good service, and I appreciate that many of these hard working folks don't make a lot of money. Niether do I, but that doesn't mean I can't tip them for good service.

And as I've done this around town, I've come to have servers thank me for the big tip, and co-workers or friends I'm dining with, and even guys sitting at the next table, say, "wow, why so much?" Then I watch as they calculate 10% or sometimes even less, or I watch as some people get up without leaving even a penny and then walk to their new Cadillac (I witnessed this last summer), and I'm embarrassed for them.

"That's why you'll never have a Cadillac," I'm told by such tightasses. Well guess what, if I've gotta be a snotty, under-tipping customer with no apprecation for living day-to-day and check-to-check, then I'm GLAD I'll never have a Caddy.

If you read this and you're a Mister 10-percenter or less, cough up a bigger tip next time. On a $30 check, it's an extra buck fifty. You can save it by buying the eight dollar cigar instead of the 10 dollar cigar next time you're at the Weaver Ridge clubhouse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rule of thumb: Working class guys who look like they maybe need the money themselves are better tippers than young guys in suits and ties. That's why sassy waitresses at working class dives make better money that perky college-age kids at who work as "servers" or "waitpersons" at trendy spots.