Saturday, May 27, 2006

Boy, I Hope It Isn't True

I have long said, and taken heat from co-workers for it, that I don't make blanket statements like "I support the troops", because in fact I don't support all of them. I don't like to make ANY blanket statement, because there's always a bad apple or two in every bunch.

So when I see this:

Pentagon sources: Civilians likely killed without provocation

I am saddened, but not surprised. I am also vindicated in my thoughts, but not happy about it. I hope it isn't true, but if it is, I don't want to hear excuses about the "pressure" they're under. I don't care what kind of pressure they are under, they are smart enough to know the difference between right and wrong. I would hope to see these soldiers brought to justice the way they would be if they killed our own citizens on our own shores. Why? Because they give our other brave armed forces personnel (the vast majority) who HAVEN'T done this kind of thing a bad name.

"There was no firefight. There was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood," Murtha said. "They actually went into the houses and killed women and children."


That is just not right. Yes, I know that's a politician commenting, but commenting after he'd seen video of the incident. But what is even worse, is that there will be comments after this post that will condone the soldiers' behavior, and those comments will be made by people who talk a tough game but refuse to sign up and get their rear ends over there. I believe the term is "chickenhawk".

No comments: