Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Teach Your Kids

I almost saw a teen on a bike get killed Sunday evening. How? By some daredevil driver speeding down a city street? By a bluehair not paying attention and weaving off the center of the street and into the bike's path? No and no.

It was because the young man on the bike, I'm guessing 14 or 15 years old...decided to blow by me on the right as I was stopped at a four-way stop, and he just missed being hit by the attentive driver coming through the intersection from my left. The driver nailed his brakes just in time, the kid on the bike swerved through untouched, flipped off the guy who could have killed him, and just kept peddling up the street. I was ticked. I was going to chase the idiot down and give him a lesson on road rules, on who was really at fault, and otherwise verbally smack him around a bit to try and talk some sense into him. By the time I got through the intersection, he had turned right down an alley and disappeared into the gloaming.

If you have a kid who rides a bike, remind him/her that the streets signs and stoplights are there for them to obey as well, that they don't have free reign to just drive through the intersection at their leisure. If someone in a black Pontiac pulls up in front of your house and comes up to your front door and says your kid almost got himself killed by not obeying traffic laws on his bike, don't blow that guy off and tell him to mind his own business, fix the real problem...the kid...instead.

I am personally shocked that there are not more car/bike fatalities in this town, the way these morons fly through stop signs.

No comments: