Sunday, December 25, 2005

PETA's worst nightmare

Yep, we're at it again. My son and I adopted another cat from a no-kill animal shelter this weekend (The Ark in Lacon), and we gave it to Diane as one of her christmas presents.

We have five animals divided among to places - the house and Diane's East Peoria office that is really a converted little cottage home - and they were all adopted from shelters. In the past couple of years, I have a) called Wildlife Prairie Park and alerted them to an injured, but very alive, red-tailed hawk I had spotted in the ditch along I-74 (I waited there near the bird, trying to calm it, until someone with more knowledge than I arrived and rescued the injured raptor; b) taken donations of food, blankets, and cash to TAPS in Pekin, and c) given my time to volunteer for various animal-rescue related events at TAPS and other shelters in the area.

So today, when we head to Diane's folks for christmas dinner, I'll throw on my leather CAT racing coat and leather sneakers, while Diane has to decide between the full-length mink or the waist-link possum, with the leather knee-high boots. We will then go there and consume ham and turkey, and tomorrow I'll head over Echo Valley and pick up some post-christmas New York strips with the gift card I got from my new employer.

And if anyone from PETA tries to call me anti-animal, I will put down my beef jerky strip long enough to tell them to kiss my meat-lovin' rear.

I'm not bragging or pretending to be above anyone else, I'm just trying to show how we love animals and yet don't consider it hypocrisy to eat meat or wear products that have come in part from animals. If it IS hypocrisy (and I can admit to seeing where some people might think so), that's one that I can live with. We all have hypocrisies in our lives, some are much worse than others, IMO. This one? Not so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to get people to understand that if PETA achieves all its apparent goals, we will see mass extenction of thousands of species.
What do they think is going to happen to all the animals that are maintained for food, wool, milk, eggs and etc., if they are not of any use to humans?
What farmer is going to maintain a herd of dairy cows if he can't sell their milk.
In Australia they were promoting a boycot of wool products. Who will keep sheep if not for wool or meat? They aren't pets.
Someone should trumpet this loudly.
PETA PROMOTES EXTINCTION OF DOMESTIC ANIMALS!
It is the only way to look at it. Their aims are clear, the results are ghastly.