Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What a different world

I just caught the tail end of a commercial on cable that said:

You may be infected!


Now, growing up, this meant you'd better get checked for an STD, but today the ad was for a computer virus protection program.

It got me thinking. I'm only in my 40's, and look at the differences in our life. To wit, here are just a few thoughts that crossed my mind:

I learned how to type on an IBM Selectric.
I remember how we ooh'd and aah'd when we cooked our first hot dog in a microwave.
I remember an entire staff of a radio station standing around a fax machine waiting to see a message from our corporate office come through.
I remember how "realistic" Nintendo seemed.
I remember reading something called a "newspaper".





I'm just kidding about that last one, I just read them online now. But really, I haven't seen a paper copy of the USA Today in about four months.

No comments: